Saturday, March 31, 2007

Teachers' working place

Before I came back to Tokyo, I lived in Illinois and taught Japanese at a public high school. Now, I'm a teacher at a professional school. Although I'm trying to get used to my new workplace, I often get confused by how different the role of teachers is in Japan than in the states.

In the US, teachers' work is to teach. And if you belong to a good school, you can focus on your teaching. However, in Japan, teachers' responsibilities aren't limited to teaching. As a matter of fact, other responsibilties do not give me enough time to prepare for class.

Why teachers can't focus on their own teaching in Japan? I think the reason would be that the schools do not have enough staffs and money to do other jobs. Eduation costs a lot.

Although education reform is one of the major arguments in Abe administration, they never probably intend to increase the costs for education. If they gave many non-teaching staffs to schools, teachers would be able to focus on teaching more. But, probably they don't want to do it. That kind of sucks.

"Education Reform," "No Child Left Behind," and any others need a lot of money to get things working out.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.