Thursday, March 29, 2007

Bless you!

"Bless you" might be a conversation opener.
As Westerners do, I say "Bless you!" when somebody sneezes. In some areas of the US, people may say "Gesundheit!" But, that's not my point. Some of my friends said that I didn't have to say it because I didn't belong to Western cultures. However, I urge you to say it, especially you are Japanese. If you care about the cultural aspect of this phrase, you could say "Are you okay?" instead. What is important is to try to communicate the person who sneezes. Anyway, he or she must say "Thank you" if you say "Bless you." This is the chance to open the conversation. I feel sad to know the fact that most Japanese in the US never try to speak English outside their workplaces or schools. I think that it is very important to speak with others totally different than you, though.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.