Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Don't try to apply the grammar you have learned at school to speaking all the time.

Sometimes an infinitive (to do something) and a gerund (doing something) are interchangeable. If you try to apply this to all sentences, though, you'll make a mistake. Here is some examples from Mr. Hiroshi Ogura's book I mentioned before:

Hiroshi Ogura, a teacher at a cram school, has written some books from his experience of teaching writing with a native English teacher.

Wrong: To collect stamps is my hobby.
Right: Collecting stamps is my hobby.

Wrong: I prefer dying rather than stealing.
Right: I'd prefer to die rather than (to) steal.
Right: I prefer walking to riding.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.