Friday, March 23, 2007

What can't be translated must be translated.

Recently I often read the blog site of Mr. Naota Amaki (http://www.amakiblog.com). This blog is bilingual too, although its blog has far better quality than my blog because of his great insights in politics and knowledge of the English language. However, what worries me is his latest comment. He said that something he felt blogging in English might be meaningless when he writes about non-international topics.


This opinion of him is really rational. But, I don't buy it. I'd like to write something about Japan that has never interested anybody so far. Also, I want more Japanese people to know the United States beyond the information they can get only in the Japanese language and I want to write about it.


Probably Mr. Atsurou Watabe, one of the most handsome actors in Japan, can't be popular overseas.

What can be easily translated into another language must be the neutral part of culture, which is called "glabalization," maybe. But, I belive that real intercultural communication must exist beyond it. I know it is difficult, but I don't want to give up right now. I try to be beyond the limit even if my language skills were limited...

It's hard to make Westerners understand why "Haikei, Chichiue sama (Dear, my father)" is good. Nobody would be satisfied if you tried to appreciate Kazunari Ninomiya, who is so unsophisticated as to doubt whether he is a member of Johnny's entertainment.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.