Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What is easy for Americans is what is difficult for the Japanese!?

I watched the movie named "Bloodknot" last night. I don't have much to say about the story of this movie. But, I picked up some phrases that seem to be difficult for English learners in Japan. Of course, these phrases are commonly used by native speakers, but it doesn't mean it's easy for Japanese people. Please take a look below:



We have a lot in common.

To "have sth in common" means to share the same interests or experiences. The Japanese use "similar," or to "look/be like" too often for this case.


Why do you cut me off?

To paraphrase this phrase, "Why do you avoid me?" or "Why are you trying to stay away from me?" In this case, to "cut sb off" means "to separate sb from doing something that s/he is usually familiar with." The phrasal verb to "cut off" has many other meanings. Phrasal verbs are always a pain in the ass.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.