Sunday, February 11, 2007

People love music 'cuz it's free.

I noticed Keigo Oyamada, one of my favorite musicians made a comment about his music on the internet. I think it is somewhat interesting and want to share it with you. This time I translated the article into English. I'm sorry if it isn't that accurate.

You can get basic infor about Keigo Oyamada from Wikipedia:


Cornelius (born Keigo Oyamada (小山田圭吾) January 27, 1969 in Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan) is a Japanese recording artist and producer. Oyamada's first claim to fame was as a member of the pop duo, Flipper's Guitar, one of the key groups of the Tokyo Shibuya-kei scene. Following the disbandment of Flipper's Guitar in 1991, Oyamada donned the "Cornelius" moniker and embarked on a successful solo career.

Cornelius's musical style is often described as being similar to Beck's, whom he acknowledges as an influence along with The Beatles, The
Beach Boys
, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Primal Scream, among
others.

The music of Cornelius could be described as experimental and exploratory, and often incorporates dissonant elements alongside more familiar harmonically "pleasing" sounds. This tension, plus his practice of bringing in sounds and samples from mass culture, pure electronic tones, and sounds from nature (see his Point album) lead him to being sometimes categorized as an "acquired taste."

He chose his pseudonym in tribute to the character of the same name from
the movie Planet of the Apes. He commissioned a song, about himself, on Momus' 1999 album Stars Forever.

Oyamada married fellow musician and collaborator Takako Minekawa in 2000 and they have one child, Milo, named after the son of Cornelius in Planet Of The Apes. He is a second cousin of Joi Ito.

His song Wataridori 2 is available for download via the Creative Commons
CD

As of September 2006, he is no longer signed to Matador Records.[1]

In 2007, the song "The Microdisneycal World Tour", from the "Fantasma" album, was used for Sky television's "See, Surf, Speak" advertisements in the UK

Q: How were you interested in copy right as an artist before this participation?

A: I was interested in it because I often used other artists' music for making my music. It was around the beginning of the 90s, when I was in the Flipper's Guitar. I did not try to get permission at that time. When I released "Fantasma" outside Japan, I faced this matter.

Q: Do you mean that you got permission from the artists of your sampling source?

A: Yeah. It was hard. First, I had to find how to get in touch with them. Then, there were several cases. In one case, I paid them. In another case, they asked me to change the title of the tune. Some of them asked me to use the same titles as theirs. As long as I played like they had done, I could use their music. Then, I had to use different titles than those in Japan. You know, there is a canny idea that you don't have to worry about copy right as long as you do sampling only in Japan. And in fact, most artists do that. But, I belive that sampling isn't stealing. I wish I could have followed the rules about it that you can easily understand.

Q: Do you think that only the richers could use sampling?

A: Like, "Let's pay a lot of money and use that big artist's tune for me!" (laughing...) In those days, poor artists used sampling, though. Now, they switched their roles.

Q: What do you expect for the Creative Commons?

A: Well, it gives artists a choice decide what kind of copy rights you would posess, but also a possibility to create new music if a lot of works are archived. I think everybody needs such a movement in this world where there are more and more regulations. You can enjoy music in many ways, listening for themselves, having somebody listen, and so on. Making music is the best way to have fun. I wonder what would happen if you take this fun from people including me. I think it is very interesting to observe a music that used to belong to me changing into another music totally different than what it used to be.

Q: Now, there is a tool everybody can make music easily with, like "Garage Band." What do you think about this movement.

A: I think it is good. ... You had to get a guitar and make a band for making music before, like a punk band. Now, people buy a computer and make a tune at home. Computers are over bands to formalize your idea. It is not only with music but also with movie, isn't it?

Q: How do you feel about the situation in which you can get your music for free by exchanging files on the computer?

A: Well, I don't know. Isn't it like they are checking whether or not a song is good. I don't think so many people exchange files. Then, if they love music, they will buy CDs too. I think that it is okay as long as they enjoy my music.

Q: I would like to ask you about recent Cornelius's music. After "Point," you seem to be anonymous. I think maybe it is partly because you don't show up as often as you did before and I rarely find your picture as an artist.

A: Well, you may be right. How can I say? I would like to produce music that is more understandable for anybody, including small kids, old people, people in Africa, or anyone. I don't know it is directly relevant to being anonymous, but I want to make my music open to all. In other word, I want anybody to touch my music, not who I am. As for my photos, they don't have to be what everybody can recognize who I am. Rather they should be interesting pictures. And I don't want to see a lot pictures on magazines. It is bogus, isn't it? (laughing)

Q: You joined a live as a guitarist. What do playing instruments mean now?

A: I think that playing music and have fun with people in the live will be important. Watching people playing music with computers isn't fun, is it? It would be much more interesting to listen to this music at this moment than it. This feeling doesn't fade away soon.

Q: Do you think it important for music to be free?

A: I think people love music because it is free. Basically it doesn't go with regulations. People will be pleased when music breaks such regulations, I think.

Original Japanese:

── 今回の参加以前にアーティストとして「著作権」に対してどんな関心、興味がありましたか?

関心はありましたね。自分の音楽でも結構サンプリングを使っていたんです。90年代の頭ぐらい。フリッパーズ・ギターのころからですね。そのころは許可を取っていなくて、で、『ファンタズマ』っていうアルバムを海外でも出すことになって、そのためには、(著作権を)クリアしていかなくてはならない、ということになったんです。

── サンプリング・ソースの権利者に許諾を取るという作業ですね。

そうですね。原曲の権利者の連絡先を調べるところから始まって、かなり大変な作業でした。お金を支払って解決するケース、それに「曲のタイトルを変えてくれ」、と要求されるケースもありました。サンプリングした曲の作者が、僕の曲のタイトルを自分の曲のものにしてくれ、と。つまりカバー曲に近い形でならリリースしていいよ、ということですね。結局海外盤は国内盤とは違う、そのタイトルになりました。日本国内でやっている分にはわからない、というズルい考え方ってあると思うんです。実際、現状はそうですよね。でも考えれば、サンプリングは「かっぱらってしまえ」ということではないんですよね。システムとしてわかりやすいやり方が制度化されていて、その制度を利用しながら段階を踏んでやっていくことができれば良かったな、と思うんです。

── お金を持っている人だけがサンプリングできる状況ですよね。

お金払って、大ネタ(*注1)使って、みたいな(笑)。昔はお金のない人がサンプリングして音楽を作っていたのに、全く逆転してしまっている。そんな感じはしますね。*注1:有名な曲の有名なフレーズのこと。

── クリエイティブ・コモンズのどこに期待されていますか?

そうですね、著作権の形態をアーティスト自身が決められるということもあるんですが、ライセンス登録が増えて、ちゃんとアーカイブ化されれば、そこからまた新しい作品が作りやすくなるということですよね。世の中全体が規制を強める方向に傾いているから、こういった動きがないとつまらない、と思います。音楽を楽しむことって、自分で聴いて楽しんだり、誰かに聴かせたりとか、いろんな段階があると思うんです。自分もそうなんですけど、音楽を作るっていうのは、その中でもさらに突っ込んだ音楽の楽しみ方だと思うんです。そこを規制しちゃうということは、どういうことなんだろう? というのはありますね。今回のCDのように自分の音楽の種みたいなものが全然知らないところで、別のものになっていくというのは、すごく面白いことだと思っています。

── Garage Bandのような誰でもカンタンに音楽が作れるツールが生まれています。音楽制作の敷居が低くなり、裾野が広がることについてはどうお思いですか?

いいことだな、と思いますね。(中略)昔は音楽をやる、となったら、例えばギターを持って、バンドを作ってということが手っ取り早かったと思うんです。パンク・バンドみたいな。今はそれよりも、コンピュータを買って家でひとりでやる、っていう方向ですよね。自分のアイデアを形にするための方法として、バンドではなくコンピュータの方が身近になっている。音楽もそうだし、映像でもそうですよね。

── ファイル交換などで、ご自身の曲が無料で手に入る状況はどう思われていますか?

どうなんだろう・・・。でも聴いてみて良ければCDを買うっていう、試聴に近いのかな、という気でいますけどね。(ファイル交換を)やっているといっても、そんなに多くはないはずですよね。それにきっと音楽に興味を持っている人たちだから、普通の人よりCDを買うと思うんです。自分の曲がそういう形ででも人の耳に触れてくれるんだったら、まあいいかなっていう気がしています。

── ここ最近のコーネリアスの音楽についてお聞きしたいのですが、『Point』以降、作品の匿名性が高くなっている印象です。ビジュアル面でも、アーティスト写真に自分の顔を出さないことなども関係あるのかな? と思うのですが。匿名性っていうのも近いと思うんですけど。

なんて言ったらいいのかな・・・。僕としては、よりわかりやすいもの。誰が聴いてもわかるというか、子供が聴いても、おじいさんが聴いても、アフリカの人が聴いても、どんな人が聴いても共有できるものを作っていきたいなっていうのはあるんです。匿名性というのと関係が有るのか、わからないですけど、誰でも入っていけるようなものにしたい、というのはあったんです。僕が誰で、とかは関係なくて音楽単体でコミュニケートできるものっていうか。そういうことは考えてたんじゃないかと思います。写真に関しても、(写真を見て)誰って認識されるものではなくて、見て「面白い写真だな」って思われるものでいいっていうか。あとやっぱり、自分の写真がバカバカ雑誌に載ったりするのってイヤなんですよね、面倒くさいじゃないですか。(笑)

── 先日のライブで小山田さんは、ギターで参加されましたね。今、楽器をプレイすることはどんな意味がありますか?

実際にライブで、その場で音楽をみんなで一緒に楽しむ、っていうのが重要になっていく感じはしてますね。この前の「SONAR」では、ラップトップで音楽をやっている人が多かったんです。見ている側からすれば、あまり面白くはないですよね。今、この人が鳴らした音がここで鳴っている、っていうほうが、だんぜん説得力がある。そういうものはやっぱりなくならない気がしています。

── 最後に、音楽にとって自由であることは重要ですか?

音楽を好きな人って、そういうことを音楽に求めている人が多いと思うんですよ。根本的に規制みたいなものとは相容れないところがあるんですよね。きっと。そこを突き破って出てくるものに対して、喜びを感じる部分っていうのがきっと多いと思うんですよね。

http://hotwired.goo.ne.jp/original/cornelius/textonly.html

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.