Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dutch picture books are cool.



The Japanese like Dick Bruna

To avoid coccoing, yesterday I went to Daimaru Museum at Tokyo, where Exibition of Dutch Picture Book Illustrators are held.

Although most people seem to be interested in "Miffy," by Dick Bruna, I felt some other illustrators such as Jan Jutte, Patsy Backx, and Marit Tornqvist are doing good work too.

I think that picture book illustrators draw simply, which is one of the tips to entertain kids. Although Japanese anime illustrators do excellet job in details, those skills might not go with picture books. In this sense, all of the illustrators whose works I observed yesterday draw their pictures only with a few lines and colors.

http://www.daimaru.co.jp/museum/schedule/tokyo/index.html

As I wrote above, I went there just because staying home all the time isn't healthy. But, another reason would be that I like Holland. I went there a couple of years ago, and it was really cool.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.