Sunday, February 11, 2007

Mirror, mirror, tell me, am I pretty or plain?

Whenever a famous Hollywood male actor comes to Japan for his new movie's promotion, a stupid female Japanese reporter will ask him either of these two questions:


How do you feel about Japanese girls?
What do you think of Japanese girls?


If the reporter is more stupid, she would say, "How do you feel Japanese girls?" Well, I hear that one Rock musician who was asked like this ansered, "Come back here tomorrow, I have never tried them." However, I want to criticize that kind of reporters not because they can't ask Hollywood actors in correct English, but because they always ask the same question.
"Is she your type?" "Kind of."
Well, when Japanese girls talk with her male friends, they will ask another question, which is:


What type of girls do you like?


Let me tell you something. If you're asked such a question, you need to give her a clear example. Otherwise, she won't be satisfied and would have wrong impression against you. I remember Ai Kato asking a question of Yuji Oda, and Oda said, "I can't explain what are my criteria, although I am sure I prefer some girls over other girls." Then, Kato said, "Well, to put it another way, you don't care who she is as long as she is a woman, do you?"
She's sorta goofy.Yukie Nakama is a good comedian, but...
Giving her the name of your favorite actress is the best way. So, what would I say? I would say, "Yukie Nakama is my favorite actress." This is my way to get away with such a question, though. I like Yukie Nakama as an actress, but she's not my type.
Megumi Okina was kinda plump when she was a teenager.
By the way, I often feel that Japanese people like slender (almost skinny) girls. Girls who seem to have a "good shape" in the US could be called "fatty" in Japan. Some famale actors who are just a little bit plump often try too hard to become thin and finally get unhealthy. That is kind of sad.


"Fat Actress" is a popular TV show.
More and more Americans try to avoid the word "fat," but if you just replace with a word like "obese," "heavy," and "big," won't the person described theri appearance be hurt?

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.