Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Learning English on TV

Basically I don't like Disney's movies, because they are too romantic and totally different than the real world where you have to face a lot of bad people and painful reality of the life.

Should we still call her Bonnie Pink? Her hair isn't pink any more!
But, I watch some dramas and comedies on Disney Channel at times to learn English. I started out this learning method because that is the way Bonnie Pink, who sings in both English and Japanese, learned English despite the fact that she's not a returnee. The English used for such dramas contains many useful expressions that are frequently used in the real communication with native speakers but that are not taught at school in Japan.

I watched Disney Channel a couple of days ago since I had nothing to do at that time. And I came to know that Beni Arashiro sings a song for the Japanese version "Kim Possible." The main characters of this cartoon were highschoolers, so maybe it may be appropriate for high school learners' supplemental audio materials.

Beni Arashiro also shows up in an NHK's English learning program.

So far, mainly I've just wanted to say that if you live in Tokyo and are paying for a Cable TV, watching Disney Channel at times may help you improve your English. From now, I want to bitch about Disney Channel in Japan. Between a program and another, there is a corner called something like "Disney 365" and it will introduce some shows that are coming. Well, that makes sence, but who does it? Actually, Shuzo Matsuoka, a former tennis player, does. I don't like to watch him too often. He may not be a bad person, but his energetic personality on TV often rubs me the wrong way. Whenever a figure skate game is broadcasted, he will be on TV. And he is supporting Mao Asada as if being his daughter. It makes me really exhausted. To tell the truth, I'm not interested in figure skate and Mao Asada. But, my parents often see figure skate on TV, and in our small house, Mr. Matsuoka's voice supporting Asada really freaks me out. Also, I'm astonished by my dad, who is always like, "Well, I think Kimmie is prettier." I'm like, "Who is Kimmie?" Recently, I learned that it was Kimmie Meissner, who is an American athelete (I put her picture here). Maybe, for most dirty-old men, watching figure skate is like watching Morning Musume...

Mao Asada, Matsuoka's favorite

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.