Thursday, May 03, 2007

Go for broke!

The verb to "break" conjugates break-broke-broken, which is the way most people have learned in Japan. But, as you may know, if you are completely without money, you could say:

I'm broke.

Although I'm really interested in Iceland, I shouldn't go there now, 'cuz I don't wanna be broke.

And also I don't know why, but when you encourage somebody to take big risks to achieve something, this phrase may be used:

Go for broke!

I can't grammatically explain why "broke" is used right after "for." But, this phrase is often heard. You may want to go for broke to use this phrase.

You gotta go for broke and get that chick!

Note: "Chick" means a young female. This is slang. Some girls will be offended if you call them chicks.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.