Sunday, June 03, 2007

What is communication?

Nowadays I feel that more and more Japanese people use this word "communication." But, what does the word mean exactly?

I have been wondering why so many Americans will major communication in college. I guess universities in Europe do not have "communication" as an independent major and that European college students try to learn rhetoric or sociology instead.

In Japan, more and more books about "intercultural communication" are written by college professors. I suspect that this is not admitted by Western academic world, though. Personally, I don't agree with the idea that the content of science varies according to each country. I try to check out whether or not "intercultural communication" will fulfill international academic standards.

No comments:

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.