Saturday, March 15, 2008

Listening CNN might not be always good.

Although I know that my English is not that good, I often wonder what is good English. If you are a serious English learner, you often try to speak good English as I do.

This time I don't want to include people who have lived in English speaking countries and who acquired native-like fluency without any conscious efforts. Anyway, their English is not always good as you think. I'm working with two Americans who think of theirselves perfect bilinguals of English and Japanese. But, one doesn't know the difference between to "realize" and to "recognize." The other uses English like "I'm looking forward to see you," as I mentioned before.

If you started out learning English after becoming an adult like I did, you must have been doing consistant efforts. Most Japanese bilingual English teachers often try to listen to English for their free time like their commutal time on the train. But, what do you listen?

Most serious English learners often listen to news in English such as CNN or BBC. However, those who learned English from only such materials tend to speak kind of monotone and solid English despite the fact that their vocabulary are excellent. As for me, American TV dramas are my textbook. But, I have to admit that my vocabulary is limited and sometimes my English is too colloquial. What is the best way? It's a good question....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.