Sunday, March 30, 2008

Five Sentence Pattens? I've never heard of it!

In Japan, mastering "five sentence patterns" is centerned on not only grammar classes but also English education. Do native speakers of English know "five sentence patterns," though?

According to Grammar & Sentence Patterns (Tomonaoabe, TS Kikaku):

1st Sentence Pattern S(Subject) + Vi (Intransitive
Verb)
God exists.
She is in that room

2nd Sentence Pattern S + Vi + C(Complement)
The sky is blue.
My friend is a lawyer.
The sky looks blue.
My friend became a lawyer.

3rd Sentence Pattern S + Vt(Verb Transitive) +
O(Object)
We eat fish.

4th Sentence Pattern S + Vt + O + O
Father bought his son a car.

5th Sentence Pattern S + Vt +C +C
I consider him a fool.
We eat fish raw.
I watched him swimming.
We found the matter settled.
I found the machine out of order.
I want you to study.

I admit that this theory has been playing a role in helping Japanese English learners become familiar with English sentence patterns. However, I also wonder if there's something incomplete in this grammar theory. For example:

I am fine.

The sentence above is categorized into the 2nd Sentence Pattern (S + V + C). But, the sentence below, which seems to mean and function in the same way, is categorized into the 1st sentence Pattern (S + V):

I am in good health.

We have to consider it.
I really hope that young grammarians in Japan will give English learners and English teachers in Japan and world a better theory to understand English sentence patterns easier.

2 comments:

David said...

I've never heard about these sentence patterns but I don't study english.

There is a difference between speaking english the way most people do in America and the way it is taught in a book. While everyone should know the proper way to talk and write it doesn't mean that's the way people will choose to talk.

Anonymous said...

Nice point there. I guess, no theory can explain ALL reality.
Anyway, my explanation would be that "in good health" (unlike "in that room") is a part of the predicate that refers to the state, so it can be compared to "fine". I mean, in "She's in that room" "is" is a full-fledged verb signifying location, and in "I am fine/in good health" it's an auxiliary.


Anyway, try these 2:

I asked him what to do.
I told him what to do.

Same structure or not? There goes structuralism...

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.