Monday, February 25, 2008

makeup and retake

A makeup (test/exam) is a test taken in school because you were not able to take a previous test. But, I wondered how you call an exam that you take again because you failed it the first time.

My American colleague told me that it should be called a "retake." He also said, though, "it's very rare." In Japan, it's not uncommon. I have taken a retake a couple of times. And one of my Japanese colleagues said she had taken many times.

I think that this difference comes from that of term exams between Japan and the states. In Japan, sometimes the mean score of a term exam is around 50 percent. And 75 percent is a very good score at times. However, as you know, 75 percent is C in the states.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, retake or retest.

It is rare, and you usually must have a valid reason for retaking/retesting, such as an illness or particular stress due to family situation, etc. Some teachers who allow retakes will always give an automatic point deduction for retests, meaning that you might start off with a 5 to 10 point deficit from your actual score from the get-go.

Mir

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I contemplate the brief should prepare more info then it has.

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.