Saturday, December 15, 2007

"I am a big boy. I can handle it."


I listened to two of my coworkers talking. One, an American guy, asked the other, a Japanese woman, the direction to the place to visit. She answered, but he wasn't satisfied with his explanation. And then, he said, "I am a big boy. I can handle it."

It cracked me up because he called himself a boy, which originally means a "male child." I don't know whether it would sound to native speakers, but "I am a big boy. I can handle it" should be used by a 10-year-old school boy who wants to go somewhere without his parent's protection.

2 comments:

David said...

Ha!

"I'm a big boy" is a nice way to tell someone they are treating you like a child or they are being to easy on you.

It means the same as "I'm tough, I can take it."

outrageous2007 said...

Thanks for your comment.

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.