Sunday, June 22, 2008

Japanese people like causative verbs.

Japanese English teachers like to teach causative constructions. They seem to believe that these constructions are typical English sentences.

I had the barber trim my hair.

He made a stranger on the street give him five dollars.

(These examples are taken from The Grammar Book by Celce-Murcia &
Larsen-Freeman, 1999)

On the other day, I edited a material of sentence combining exercises. In this material, original answers were written by a Japanese English teacher and a native English teacher made a comment on them. One correction impressed me:

Original: All of our buses make passengers comfortable.

Corrected: All of our buses are very comfortable.

However, the question was given to teach learners causative constructions. After I discussed with this native speaker, I had to change the question itself and the answer became like this:

Traveling on our buses makes passengers comfortable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like trouble. brr.

anyway, a little amazed that an english teacher has such a questinable wage. i thought (or had the impression that--the profession was rather "comfortable") the Japanese wouldn't let a "sensei" be a "working poor". somehow, i have made nothing of my ability in English--probably because I know that the common Japanese is an idiot for a "native speaker". frankly, i think my command of the language is far above the average "native".

"Our buses comforts the passengers"?

because "makes comfortable" sounds like there's some gas that relaxes them.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Copyright (C) 2007-2009 OUTRAGEOUS. Some rights reserved. You may copy or quote any article on this blog site as long as you credit OUTRAGEOUS. All pictures are credited to original photographers and owners.